Sunday, June 20, 2010

My name is Olive

My name is Olive and I am a florist. People love roses. It is Valentine's Day today, the busiest day of the year for us.
It is eight o'clock in the morning and we are already very busy. The first customer is picking up his order of one orchid. I know him very well, he gives his wife plants every year on Valentine's Day. She loves gardening, and if she's any good, the plants will thrive in her garden for many years to come. This is a love that will never die. The second customer is a young man. I am not sure what he wants to do, but he doesn't know what kind of flower he's going to get for his girlfriend, so I asked him what's she is like.
"What is your girlfriend like? Maybe I can find something for her here."
"She works for a law firm, very busy. I think she likes puppies, but then who doesn't like puppies? This is our first Valentine's so I am at a lost here."
"You can go with a safe option. I think twelve roses bouquet will do very well. What do you think?"
"You are an angel. Saved my life. I will pay for it now, thanks."
He looks totally relieved. I can't believe that this guy has gone out with his girlfriend for a year. He doesn't know his girlfriend at all. He doesn't know what his girlfriend's favourite flower is? Do they ever talk to each other? I hope he will be with this girlfriend after today.
Five minutes later, the guy comes back to the counter. He's forgotten the card.
"I need a card, too. I'd like to buy this one."
He picked a hideous red card, with a huge bunch of red roses on top and very bold golden letter: Happy Valentine's Day! on top. I gave him a dubious look and smiled nervously. He gets the cue.
"Do you think this is too much?"
"Yes."
"Which one should I get?"
"I think you should go for the dog card. You said she likes puppies?"
"Yes. That's a great idea."
"Good luck, and have fun with her."
"I will. I am taking her out to dinner tonight. It's a surprise."
Surprise is never good. I hope he is taking her to a nice restaurant. I hope he knows what he's doing. I also hope that the girl is not expecting him to propose because I know he's not in a jewelery shop. He's not exactly original with his choice of flower, and I don't think he has any original idea in his head.

No comments: